Surprise surprise, He’s Just Not That Into You is a stupid movie. At least according to Dana Goldstein:
In short, I have to say that I did not relate to this movie at all. From what I could tell, the movie made the following arguments:
1. All women want to get married. In fact, getting married is a woman’s main goal in life.
2. Women cajole and trick men to the altar. No man has ever gone there willingly!
3. Don’t call a man. Only desperate, clingy women call men. And since you are desperate and clingy, but you don’t want him to know that you are, never call.
4. Straight women who date are white.
5. Men want sex. Preferably with Scarlet Johansson. Women are indifferent to sex. Except for Scarlet Johansson.
6. Straight men who date are white.
7. You are not the exception to the above dating rules. You are the rule. Until you become the exception because you meet your one true love. Or something like that.
Here’s the money shot:
HJNTIY is a truly stupid movie. I have not read the book, which I know some women swear by. In any case, I’m open to being convinced that I am wrong. But as I told a friend, as much as I love a guilty pleasure, I fear my IQ dropped at least 10 points just by sitting through this film.
This is what women get for going to a movie about a book inspired by Sex and the City. And for the record, every girl I know that’s read the book and seen the movie hasn’t been helped. Maybe they should try bon bons and kleenex.